Module 4: Part 1
Practical Approaches to Care: Best practices for nutrition support
1. Introduce new tools such as meal planning (exchanges, components, and plate method), mindful eating, Intuitive Eating, etc. all through a weight inclusive lens.
2. Differentiate the positive and negative impacts of each nutrition support intervention with consideration for presentation of unique struggles, triggers and understanding.
3. Identify the need for tube feeding support along with general supplements best indicated.
a. Into the weeds with meal planning, the good and the bad
b. Simplifying and diversifying meal planning and meeting the needs of the individual
c. Overview of mindful eating, Intuitive Eating and more
d. Discussing weight monitoring
e. Medications and supplements best indicated for mental health support
Module 4: Part 2
Fueling the Gut and Metabolism: Foundations for healing food and body dynamics
1. Evaluate gastrointestinal impacts of insufficient and inconsistent fueling behaviors and how best to correct through nutrition support.
2. Interpret food rituals and food behaviors along with medical evaluation to offer individual nutrition care.
3. Examine the components of MNT that contribute to physical and behavioral health (gut function, liver, macro and micronutrient deficiencies, metabolic changes, etc.)
a. Gut disruption with ED and SUD behaviors
b. How emotional dysregulation impacts gut function and mental health exacerbation
c. Metabolic complications – acute and chronic
d. Metabolism basics and a review of Set Point Theory
e. Gut Brain connection, psychosomatic functions in the body